Monday, September 10, 2012

Blessings at Sick Kids

The thing about Sick Kids hospital...
It is filled with recent memories and most of them are pretty good. There were about 2 days that were challenging and draining, and one night of silent, hot tears and desperate tweets asking for prayers. God kept sending assurances and I have said many times since our weeklong stay in June, God's fingerprints are everywhere at that hospital.

So many times in June, as well as this past Thursday, I prayed prayers of praise and thanksgiving as well as humble questions. Why is my daughter so lucky? Why are we so blessed? How do parents do this in other countries? How do parents do this, who live at the hosptial, whose children never leave.

When we stayed for our week, Victoria was the eldest in our tiny wing. She was the healthiest there by a long shot. Most of her neighbours were transplant patients. One of her neighbour's little body wasn't accepting his transplant well. The parents and family were beyond tears, they were angry, questioning, asking, pleading, tired. I am sure at night they had their hot, silent tears. Or maybe not. There is a limit to how long you can emotionally keep reacting. At some point, I imagine you go numb, go through motions and conversations like a zombie.

Another little friend next to her had been there for four months. We rarely saw mom. When we did she had 2 other children with her. This small child / young toddler, too sick to toddle, was left being cared for by nurses and volunteers. Nurses are too busy to hold babies. Volunteers aren't always around. It was tough to listen to cries and not be able/allowed to intervene. What awaits that child when they go home?

How many parents would gladly change spots with us, to only have a child with a GI disease? No chemo, no radiation, no surgeries (at least not yet), all body parts.... A healthy child is such a miracle. That is one of the great things about SK. It reminds me how richly blessed I am.

My gorgeous girl had her scheduled MRI on Thursday night. She is such a trooper, it is astounding. We made it to the hospital with almost no traffic and we were able to snag a great parking spot. Everything went so smoothly, we arrived an hour ahead of schedule. The MRIs were running on time (blessing!). The barium she had to drink went down no problem and this was a huge relief, because when she had to prep for her scopes, the fluids she had to drink were a ....hassle. The doc was kind & funny and handled V well. There was one point that was pretty upsetting to her and he calmed her down quickly. Honestly, I sat with her the whole time and I was imagining myself in her shoes, at 9! It would be a challenge at this point in my life, and here she was, 9.... This girl amazes me. We finished by 9pm, hit the Starbucks in the lobby for a treat for her and some caffeine for my drive home. She was a great navigator, as my GPS was trying to send me some bizarre way. She was a bit emotional when we arrived home, just from being so tired. She was able to go to bed quickly and the next day was fine. (I was pretty beat, not from being up a bit later but the darn drive kicks my butt everytime).
So, with the MRI done, she got her wish. Saturday we went to get her ears pierced. You can't imagine a happier girl :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm tracking with you girl. Amazing how great joy and deep pain can be two sides of the same coin. Way to go V. She looks so pretty in her earrings!
    *Loreli*

    ReplyDelete
  2. {hugs} you DO have an amazing girl (who has an axing mom)

    ReplyDelete